I’ve been reading some great holiday horsey gift posts lately from Hand Gallop, Roosa’s Horsey Life, and the Printable Pony. You gals have inspired me! I’d like to put my own spin on a holiday gift guide, and take it down to a very practical level. I love practical gifts. As unromantic as it sounds, I think it’s super sweet when my husband buys me things that I find useful in the barn. It means he notices how I do things, and has put thought into how he could make things easier for me!
Now, I know what you’re thinking… “but, Allie, I still want that expensive organic soy candle that smells like fresh dressage saddle leather!” Or “I NEED that $500 handmade, fully tooled, cow hide purse!”
Hey, girl, me too. I get it! There is a time and a place for those super special gifts, but I’d like to wager that practical gifts are equally awesome. I have personally received some of these things in the past from fellow horsey friends, and they’re always appreciated!
So, here are my top five super practical gifts for the horsey gal (or guy!) in your life:
1. Lined Leather Gloves – I go through about one pair each winter with the amount of hay I move around. Even if you already have a pair, it’s always handy (get it? handyyyy??) to have a second pair in the barn, trailer, or car waiting for you, especially if you slosh frigid water on them while working. I use these in extreme cold and they always keep my fingers warm! They’re a must-have for hard working equestrians.
2. Duct tape and zip ties – You heard me. Duct tape and zip ties are absolutely essential tools in a horse girl’s arsenal. You can fix just about anything with a little duct tape and some zip ties 😉 Here’s a tip for buying duct tape: don’t skimp on the cheapie brand–buy the good stuff! And when buying zip ties, buy an assortment of sizes and lengths, because you never know how you’ll use them.
3. Bungee Cords – I don’t know who invented bungee cords, but I’d like to give them a big ‘ole hug. You can do so many things with bungee cords, and you can never have too many. You use them for strapping down hay in a truck or trailer, hanging up blankets by your stall, or holding down a flapping tarp over a dead horse body. #beentheredonethat #somebodysgottadoit
4. Equine First Aid Supplies – Any first aid supplies will do: gauze, iodine, wound ointment. You would be surprised by how happy you can make a horse person with a gift bag full of Vetrap and syringes. If you want to combine a practical AND special gift, shop at The Herbal Horse for organic wound salves!
5. Wire Cutters – If you’re like me, you’re constantly misplacing those pesky little pliers around the barn. “Did I use the wire cutters on Goldie’s hay yesterday? No, wait, it was Ranger’s hay. No, that can’t be right… Grrrrr! Screw it, I’ll just twist the wire open. (gets gnarly wire cut on hand)” Even if your hay is twine-baled, wire cutters are an absolute necessity in any barn. You’ll need them to trim those zip ties you bought. 😉
Don’t stop there! The practical gift list could go on and on. I love to get big Sharpie markers, dry erase markers, horse treats, grooming totes, and new feed buckets, too!
Nothing says “Merry Christmas!” like a big tub of duct tape and bungee cords, people!